View Single Post
Old 14th January 2014, 10:49 AM   #169
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav
The Kastane in Sendai Museum, which you mention here, most probably the oldest Kastane with a proper provenance, has clear markings on its blade.

Weapons with religious symbols on blades or fittings and of talismanic value are nothing of rarity. Actually the ties between religion and warfare are quite obvious and fundamental.

Salaams Gustav, Thank you for your input which is very interesting ... .. Your point on religious links to battle swords is understood. My point is I have no records nor have any surfaced as yet of blades with stamps or markings, which, for a blade said to have possibly been made in a joint Portuguese Sri Lankan workshop is odd. At any rate my comment is purely speculative in this regard as you will note it is only a suggestion..but your post is excellent and inspires a look into the Japanese presentation item.

I note one web author who says Quote''The blades were initially of mediocre quality until blades made in Europe began to be used. Many of the blades bear East India Company trademark.'' Unquote. Does that mean that before the British arrived blades were inferior... I find this very interesting if true?

Here is the weapon you speak of.. I cant see a blade mark but assume an European blade here...see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hasekura_Tsunenaga

Described as; Indonesian kris and Ceylonese dagger (acquired in the Philippines), presented by Hasekura to Date Masamune upon his return; Sendai City Museum

Pictures of swords said to have been acquired in the Philippines and dated map of his travels. 1620 being key; Given the weapons at that time in the Philippines.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 14th January 2014 at 02:14 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote