Thread: New keris
View Single Post
Old 1st September 2005, 08:51 AM   #66
Boedhi Adhitya

Dear Mr. Alam shah,
I'm afraid I can not show you the pictures. Sorry. I've only seen 3-4 kerises with, I consider as having, "mahanani" qualities. None of them is mine I'm also afraid that the pictures will not "catch" the "mahanani" qualities, only the beauties. But I will try to manage to have those pictures.
Until now, I've found no book/chapter discussing specifically on iron exam. I've learnt the iron under guidance of elders. They show me a pieces, then they say "this what our ancestor called as 'nyabak' and this is 'nyerat'. Just look carefully and learn, then we discuss". If they didn't have the example, they would refer to others who have it, by saying "just go to Mr. X, and ask his permission to look at the Kyai Y. It has 'gulali' iron. watch carefully". Well, good and perfect pusakas are very rare. It takes years just to find one of them that being sold.

But internet is a powerful tools, you might learn something about ancient iron and steel manufacturing and some metalurgy, and you might also compare the katana-making process and keris-making process. Haryono Guritno himself now in process of publishing his book entitled "Keris Jawa, Antara Mitos dan Realita" (Javanese Keris, between the myth and reality). I believe this book will discuss many aspect of Java keris. IMHO, Guritno is wise enough by not trying to cover all keris cultures from archipelago / nusantara . Btw, 4 kerises' pictures I attached on previous posts might be considered as having "nyabak" iron. Hope this may help.

Since I've promised to share about how the esoteric works, then I would pay my "debt" now
esoteric consist of 3 aspects : philosophy, "tanjeg" and "tayuh". Philosophy would be the "bridge" between the exoteric and esoteric. "tanjeg" is the interpretation of keris's intention, as the empu intended to when he made the blade, by "feel"-ing the exoteric properties. "tayuh", is a "forum" where the owner could "feel" the keris "intention" (=power, if you wish), for example, by dreaming. I would only discuss the philosophy and tanjeg. no tayuh, please

Say, we have a common Tilam Upih keris, with the famous "Udan Mas" (golden rain) pamor, with good, black and shiny "nyabak' iron and perfect pamor. No flaw likes "nerjang landhep" (the pamor lunging/go through the steel edge) or "pegat waja" (broken steel/iron) or "pegat pamor" (broken/interupted pamor). It has a luwes (suppel) and calm-polite (sopan) looking/appearance (guwaya). Some worn out or corrosion is acceptable, though

Philosophically: the pesi (tang) symbolize the phallus, the ganja (with it's hole ) symbolize the yoni. Pesi and ganja thus symbolize the fertily or birth. That is, the beginning of life (of the owner, of course). The pejetan symbolize the "seed of life". Some also interpret it as "hard working" or "the job that had been done". Tikel alis ="folded eyebrow" = 2 eyebrows became one. How comes? It takes two person, man and woman, preferably If you find your partner, stick your eyebrows, and see what else you've been doing. Tikel alis symbolize loyalty and affection. Tilam=alas="bed sheet", upih=pelepah=might means "branch of a tree", likes coconut leaves. Tilam upih means = "sleeping with/on a 'pelepah' as a bed sheet. = to live a modest and humble life. Tilam upih might also call Tilam Pethak(=white)= white bedsheet = to live an honest life.
The blade itself symbolize the owners "path of life". Straight blade symbolize the straight, honest life. Luks means that the owners should avoid/evade every life's hindrance and temptations wisely. The point/tip is the owners end of life, the times when we meet our Creator (if you believe in one). The odd luk means "only your Creator know your fate. It is He who made it even"
Now, we can read this "book" : "May you have the prosperity in your life by works hard and living in a modest and humble life. Be honest and loyal for always. Show your affection to others and always remember and praise your Lord, The Creator. Just remember, all the living will dead, and so do you".

By looking to this keris, the owner who can read the messages, will understand. By look and watching it's beauty again and again, the owner will be suggested to practices "The Teaching". In the end, he may lives in a prosper life. That is a real "tuah" of keris.

If we treat it only as an amulet but never "read" it properly, we may only burnt the incense and spelling mantras likes "O, Great Kyai Tilam Upih, please bring prosperity to my life". But if treat it as "pusaka", we may unsheathed it, and let "the spirit/the teaching" of keris "absorbed" into our own spirit/mind. That's would be the meaning of "Jimat Ngucap, Pusaka Kandha".

The Tanjeg then, the overall interpretation of this keris derived from exoteric properties. In this case : "this tilam upih keris with pamor udan mas will help the owner to have a prosper life".
Please remember that I don't have all the answer. Many keris symbolistic language have lost, and it is a "living culture" which evolves all the times. I do not claim that this interpretation would be the same as the Majapahit era. And cultures, also, may vary.

Wish this post may help you.

Best regards,

Boedhi Adhitya.

Last edited by Boedhi Adhitya; 1st September 2005 at 08:59 AM. Reason: mispelled
Boedhi Adhitya is offline   Reply With Quote