View Single Post
Old 26th April 2023, 10:43 PM   #2
TVV

It would be tempting to conclude that this kaskara dates back to the 17th century, but it might also be incorrect to do so. There are instances of Islamic arms dated with an early date but with blade styles that are typical of much later periods - some yataghans for example. This could be a similar situation, where an earlier date was applied to a 19th century blade. I am not suggesting that this was done in modern times - given how the date and the dukari markings are situated within the silver inlay decorations this was certainly done in the past, when the blade was decorated somewhere in the Sudan.

The blade itself looks like a fairly typical trade blade with the 3 narrow fuller pattern. These were mostly exported to Sudan and the Sahel in great quantities during the 19th century. Sure, the pattern was based on earlier European broadswords, but in the absence of additional marks it is hard to date the blade with an absolute degree of certainty. The guard is also of a type that is found on 19th and even early 20th century swords - Ali Dinar's swords come to mind.

Looking at the sword as a whole, I see an attractive, most likely 19th century piece. There are takoubas with early, 17th century blades and even earlier ones, and I would be excited if I am wrong and this sword can be convincingly dated to the 17th century, but outside of the date, which could have been engraved at any point in time, there is not nothing else to support such a dating.
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote