View Single Post
Old 14th March 2023, 04:27 PM   #23
JoeCanada42

well yes, and that's what it was sold to me as
but I suspect a very old one, or a home made one...

the sigil marking adds some mystery and I think helps support the fact it is more than just a letter opener
antique letter openers on their own are quite collectable, but there is a market as well for bronze/ brass athames. I have read and heard of many wiccans that start with a letter opener...
magic enchantment wont stick to iron, but copper alloys are good, much better for a wand or dowsing rod...
also for working with the Fae or Aos Si or anything offended by iron.
I did look at every brass bronze athame (& letter openers) I could find. this one spoke to me as being genuine. I suspect something like this would be used in magical treasure hunting, the sigil seems to look like a "money attraction symbol"
it didn't cost much and there is a lot of upside to the gamble, something like this could be very old, or could be made out of special alloys,

maybe it just looks like a letter opener partly on purpose for many reasons you may not want family or authorities to find out you practice magic or magic treasure hunting even, which I understand was quite popular.

currently I am almost done reading : Magical Treasure Hunting in Europe and North America by Johannes Dillinger, quite interesting., thought I would read it and maybe find some info , seems I don't need the magic, I seem to have the tools and treasures coming my way anyway .

I think maybe someone made a copy of a letter opener to produce there own athame? and definitely looks old...