View Single Post
Old 2nd February 2023, 07:54 PM   #17
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default "..curioser and curiouser"!!

Very well said I.P.!!!
In the study of ethnographic arms, there are constant religious, superstitious, talismanic imbuements of virtually all sorts, though scholarly studies typically are inclined to avoid any in depth study of these. Presumably anything which cannot be proven empirically is glossed over except with occasional side notes.
However, in the designs and symbolism inherent in most of these forms, these are virtually predominant, despite metaphysical origins.

In European arms the presence of similar associations with magic, occult and superstitious elements in decoration, inscriptions and markings equally are often present.

Ironically, much of the same arcane symbology is of course present on these kinds of weapons in the private sector and often in ritual and ceremonial practice. Yet this is often met with similar reticence to that of serious study of these kinds of character in the arms used in warfare or self defense.

I have always thought, we do not have to believe in what these symbols and esoteric elements represent....but to understand and perhaps identify a weapon being examined.....we must become aware of what the people using them believed.

As I.P. has well noted, often examples being copied or produced later may well incorporate the significant symbols without awareness of meaning, but simply carrying forth the completeness of the item copied.

I always think of the automotive analogy........in the 1950s, the Buick had distinctive discs on the side of the hood. Most people had no idea what these represented, however these were vestigial representations of the exhaust ports from cars of the 1930s, as well as aviation, those on fighter planes.