View Single Post
Old 27th December 2020, 07:21 PM   #14
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc M.
Hi kubur
Europian or native made blade, don't make much difference to me so, long the blade is well made. Its sometime hard to define where its from.
A few things made me doubt on the native origin.
First: the double fullers with the decoration, not that common on native blades. The decoration in the fullers is problaby acid etched, done verry well.
Second: a ricasso is found mostly on import blades.
Third : the markings in particular the cartouche and the hands.
Hopefully someone can shed some light on these matters.
Greetings
Marc

These deeply channeled blades are distinctly European, and actually they were made in both Solingen and in England (Mole & Sons) for Ethiopian markets in the reign of Menelik II (r. 1868-1915). These blades were of varied types, many curved for shotels but there were numbers of these straight, channeled blades (as shown in post by Kubur with 2005 threads).

From what I recall, and image from the shambles of my notes, these blades came into Ethiopia, typically to Armenian merchants in Harar mostly, for the Abyssinian armorers (Sarlis Terzian c. 1890 was one of the many and Keverkoff another commonly seen).

The Mole versions often had the Amharic script etched in, while the German examples seem to have had the floral etching. Typically the Lion of Judah is seen at the forte, but this one is different being a couchant lion without the regalia on the Lion of Judah (the Royal Abyssinian mark).

Also, the gloves are typical of German makers marks of latter 19th c. period as yet undetermined. The numbers are it seems commercial administrative associated, and I have seen these types of numbers on various German blades to colonial clientele.

The lion has distinct symbolic value across North Africa from Sahara to Sudan, and several forms of lion exist on Tuareg sword blades (from Kaocen Rebellion, 1916-18) to Hadendoa in Sudan where this may have been 'totemic' (the Hadendoa name assoc. with lion ?).
There was a German firm (C. Lutters & Co.) using a circled couchant lion c. 1840-99(Bezdek, p. 147) and imported blades from there may have influenced native blade producers.

In "People of the Veil" (Rodd, 1928. p.233) it is noted referring to 'Masri' blades, "...another cheap variety has a small couchant lion". These marks were believed to imbue the blade with magical powers.

This convention of 'magical imbuement' was not lost to commercial production of blades, especially in Solingen, where the use of spurious markings for specific clientele had been practiced for many centuries.

As noted, these straight blades, whether intended for Sudan or Ethiopia, carried a couchant lion which may have appealed to either recipient.
Many of these ended up in Yemen (as shown in attached photo) but the blades in any case remained in circulation for generations.

I would say this was rehilted in the traditional kaskara manner, but using solid metal as had become conventional by early to mid 20th c. as noted by Battara. This may well be 'German silver' which is of course an alloy of copper, brass and nickel (I believe) but has similar effect as silver.

With ethnographic weapons, whether it is a weapon modified, remounted, etc and perhaps in modern context with components is not as relevant as the fact it is as representation of the culture and traditions of its users. While many weapons so altered are seen as 'composite' and less worthy collectibles, I see them as iconic historic journals of their often long working lives.
Attached Images

Last edited by Battara; 28th December 2020 at 02:13 AM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote