View Single Post
Old 21st October 2019, 08:32 PM   #11
mahratt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Well, there is a problem with historiography...

And here is free hint:

Peysonnel was in Crimea in 1753. Many things might have happened in 40 years. Such as, for example, a minor adjustment in the scenery: annexation of Crimea by the Russian Empire in 1783. The usual practice of any occupant is to cut down on the manufacture of weapons by the locals.

Crimean Khanate in 1793 was no more, and still is no more.
Thank you very much for your information. You are not quite right on several issues ... 1) Peyssonnel was in the Crimea from 1753 to 1757. 2) The Russian Empire did not annex the territory of Crimea. Crimea was joining as a result of the war. And the war, in turn, was provoked by regular raids of the Crimean Tatars into the territory of the Russian Empire. Since the 15th century, 3 million captives passed through the slave markets in Crimea (Alan Fisher “Muscovy and the Black Sea Slave Trade”, Canadian American Slavic Studies, 1972, Vol. 6, pp. 575-594.). I think you should read Guillaume Le Vasseur de Beauplan. He writes in detail about what the Crimean Tatars did with the Russians and Ukrainians. The easiest thing was capturing people and selling Russians and Ukrainians into slavery ...
https://archive.org/details/descript...00beau/page/46

Guillaume Le Vasseur de Beauplan. Description d'Ukranie, qui sont plusieurs provinces du Royaume de Pologne.
"Dans ce iour qui est d'vne semaine ils font assembler tout leur butin, qui consiste en esclaues, & en bestcaux & partagent le tout entr'eux; c'est vne chose qui toucheroit le cœur des plus inhumains, de voir lors là separation d'vn mary d'auec sa femme, d'vne mere d'auec sa fille, sans esperance de se pouuoir iamais reuoir, entrans dans l'esclauage deplorable de Payens Mahumetans, qui leur font milles indiguitez. Leur brutalité leur faisant cómettre vne infinité de saletez, comme de violer les filles, forcer les femmes presence des peres & de leurs maris: mesme circoncir leurs enfans deuant eux pour estrepresentez à Mahomet. En fin le cœur des plus infensibles fremiroit d'entendre les cris & les chants, parmy les pleurs & gemissemens de ces malheureux Rus. Car cette nation chante & hurle en pleurant, ces miserables sont donc separez par cy par là, les vns pour Constantinople, les autres pour le Crime, & d'autre pour la Natolie, & c. voila en peu de mots, comme les Tartares sont des leuées & des rafles de peuples au nombre de plus de 50. mil ames, en moins de deux femaines, & comme ils traictent leurs esclaues, apres auoir fait leurs partages, puis les vendent selon que bon leur semble lors qu'ils sont retournez en leurs pays".

When Russia officially notified the European powers of the joining of Crimea, only France protested. In response to the French protests, the President of the Collegium of Foreign Affairs, I. A. Osterman, reminded the French envoy that Catherine II had at one time “impartially and indifferently gazed” at the “possession of Corsica”, and therefore expects a “equally impartial and indifferent” attitude of the French king to the joining of Crimea to Russia, “seeking only to calm the borders” of the Russian Empire
3) At the time of Simon Pallas's journey, Crimea was joining to Russia for only 10 years. You are absolutely right when you say that the winners in the conquered territories are trying to reduce the production of weapons. But ... The same Pallas writes that five gunsmith workshops work in Bakhchisarai. It would be logical to ban their work, and not the work of stores that sell knives and various tools made of iron ...

I hope I managed to write quite understandably. I apologize in advance for my bad English.
Attached Images

mahratt is offline   Reply With Quote