View Single Post
Old 16th February 2023, 06:22 PM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green View Post
Can anyone please confirm where this blade is from? what type ? A guess of possible age ? Should I replace the blade with a malay keris to go with this sheath and hilt?
I agree with Rasdan that there is a strong possibility that this blade could be Sumatran. The way the tikel alis cuts so strongly into the gandik is a trait i have seen before on Sumatran keris. Also the nature of this pamor seems quite possibly Sumatran. See my example below.
Your question about replacing the blade to go with this sheath and hilt is kind of the opposite of my thinking, which always places the welfare of the blade first.
What i think when i see this it that you might want to change the SHEATH. I think, as you already noted, that this lovely hilt could possibly be acceptable for a Sumatran blade. If that is the case, it seems possible that you might have a Sumatran keris with a Sumatran hilt and what is out of place in this ensemble is the sheath, which obviously was not created for or even well fitted to the blade.
Attached Images

David is offline   Reply With Quote