View Single Post
Old 20th February 2005, 09:50 AM   #30
erlikhan

Many thanks for all valuable info friends. So, that Spanish motto is just something popular of its age . Like a lady wearing t-shirt with Marylin Monroe pic. doesn't necessarily mean she is American,or a guy with Che not a guerilla. But still the letter style makes suggestions weigh through western Caucassia. Ok. Its still in repair and the master told, the wires were later addition as a repair, due to a broken hilt or cross guards. The writing on the grip strap is cut from the beginning or lies under the wires, and the ivory has been nailed too close to the wires. If it was original, they would not do like that, to avoid a crack with too short distance of safety to the edge. The ivory must be cut and wrapped just for repair. Turkish style hilt could be used by anybody in Arabia, as it is more a matter of personal esthetical preferences and money than political sides. It will probably be solved when the inscriptions on the hilt and scabbard are read.
About the gurda, I am spending effort, and trying to remember which stores here have shashkas with "jaws". Lol. I saw at least 5-10 anywhere quiet recently, and didn't care more than any other stamps. I am sure they are not more expensive than other shashkas here.
Jim, thanks for your offer. I sent you pm.
best regards
erlikhan is offline   Reply With Quote