View Single Post
Old 15th February 2005, 11:27 PM   #11
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you for confirming that Marc! I was pretty sure I could see the motto, but the gold calligraphy in so heavy it was hard to make out.
As occurs in trade blades in most of the centers, marketability is key, and that so termed 'Spanish motto' is copied in variation in Italy and France as well as Spain, however it is generally attributed to Spanish origin (noted in "The Smallsword in England" John Aylward, 1945, p.43).
I would suspect this blade to possibly have Caucasian origins, as the style of calligraphy and the large lettering that covers the entire blade panel resembles the award sabre examples I noted and many of the letter shapes have similarities to alphabets such as Mkhedruli (Georgian). While the motto is in interpretive styling of Latin, the lettering seems to reflect some of the letters of that alphabet.
I have seen many trade blades carrying mottos and names that simulate original examples of these from the countries or regions of origin, that are not accurately translatable. It is much like the 'thuluth' inscriptions on the Sudanese weapons, intended to carry stylized effect .

As for the mounts and hilt on this sabre, I am inclined to agree with Jeff, that Syria may be a likely point of furbishing where the blade and this hilt may have been put together. This location was key for mounting sabres intended for the Arabian market. It seems that the wire wrapped hilt (note the Syrian sabre in my avatar which has the wire wrap on the grip) and again the 'agrab' on scabbard throat suggest this. The pistol grip Ottoman hilt to me seems very unusual, but still well placed with appealing to Arabian chiefs and ranking tribal members seeking individuality in their personal sabres.

Again, speculation based on the comprehensive elements of the sabre, but with what seem to be plausible observations. With this being a trade blade from Caucasian regions, which often went to Syrian ateliers, this would explain the obvious mismatch in the hilt covering part of the guard.

Really is a beauty of a sabre!!!

Best regards,
Jim

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 15th February 2005 at 11:37 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote