View Single Post
Old 14th February 2005, 11:23 PM   #1
erlikhan

Default Turkish?Georgian? Polish? Shamshir

I recently acquired this shamshir from one of the most luxurious antiquities auctions here, for an unbelievable price! ( around the total of two pcs. silver scabbarded average kindjals with good condition) . And furthermore, I acquired a long and heavy, silver mounted shashka and a good American marine sword in the same lot included in this price too. Shamshir was so heavily patinated that I am sure most thought the mountings were iron, and looked unattractive to high society customers, but in fact they are all high grade silver, including scabbard mountings, even the hanging loops, all cross guard,wires and grip strap. I've only cleaned a little part of it yet. Grips are ivory. Blade is 90 cm. Confusing point , is the gold koftgari on both sides. What alphabet and language are they? Any suggestions? Seems partially as latin, partially as Kril, or anything else?? On the locket and grip strap, there are also Islamic inscriptions,which I have no idea if are Turkish, Persian or anything else.

http://www.pbase.com/erlik29/inbox
can you pls check the pics and any opinions?

Last edited by erlikhan; 15th February 2005 at 12:42 AM.
erlikhan is offline   Reply With Quote