View Single Post
Old 9th September 2006, 02:22 AM   #12
roanoa

Hi guys. I'd like to see a close up of the scabbard. The tooling on the red leather is a sure tell. It looks Ethiopian to me. I agree that Berber scabbards also come in this shape, but the blades are usually much shorter. I also agree that the leather covered hilt has close ties with a Kaskara. That was my very first thought. It would be interesting to have the writing translated. Having said that, nothing surprises me when it comes to ABYSSINIAN swords. I have seen Kascaras with Ge'ez writing on the blades as well as the Lion of Judah. I have seen gurades with Arabian and even Moroccan hlts. And, of course, gurades with Arabic writing. Let's not forget the Arabian influence in Abyssinian areas like Harar. As it stands, without better pictures and more info, I would say it's a sword of Ethiopian/Sudanese origin and that it may have changed hands a few times and that each new owner has put a personal touch to it. Also, it seems to me there is leather braided cord attached to the scabbard and that it is made in the typical fashion of Southern Sudan. Any more thoughts? Cheers, RON
roanoa is offline   Reply With Quote