View Single Post
Old 11th January 2024, 01:43 PM   #12
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I only wish I could add more. These areas are way out of my usual fields of study, but in the little investigating I have done, so fascinating that I cannot resist traveling further into the subject.

I see what you mean on the character of your knife, which is of course an entirely different form than the knives of Chile and the Canary Islands.
In looking at the interesting blades of the Canarian knives, the curious profile of them reminds me of what seems to have been a rather ubiquitous form used by sailors on vessels traveling the trade routes. If I recall these became known as 'Meditteranean' knives, and one distinguishing feature noted was a 'notch' at the back of the blade near the hilt, a sort of choil in effect.

Not wishing to deviate further, I hope someone out there might come in with more here. The blade,size etc. does seem to have a European gestalt and imitation of hilt affinities from well traveled regions would seem expected.
Your point on the character of the execution of the 'stacking' in your example does support your suggestion of other than these regional locations known for this feature as an origin of the knife.

Whatever it is, very attractive and intriguing!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote