View Single Post
Old 1st May 2008, 08:24 PM   #53
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
... I cannot see how the Dutch renaissance can be any more perfect than these ancient examples. Without including India, China and other parts of the far east ...
I was only quoting what is written, more to emphasize how old this craft is and the splendour it later achieved, and not wanting to mind any judgement of value. Besides, electing the best of anything in the world is allways naturally discussable .
The pictures attached are of the famous Goa gold(en) helmet, an Indo Portuguese creation of the XVI century. It has (also) been exhibited in the Great India Exhibition, in the New York Metropolitan Museum, making part of the best four hundred art works from India. It ( supposedly) is the oldest representation of a hunting scene with firearms. A (Portuguese) hunter can be seen aiming at flying birds, with one falling after being shot.
The outer part of this helmet is in rather thick gold sheet, but the interior is "puxado" from one only piece of copper.
In this specific case, the term "puxado", which could be translated as "pushed" or "poussé", was used by a highly educated person.
I hope this piece is nice enough to deserve your apreciation .
Fernando
Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote