View Single Post
Old 30th March 2010, 05:04 PM   #15
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Anandalal,
Im glad you came in on this as well. I was looking forward to yours and Cornelis' thoughts on this outstanding piece, as not only do you both constantly offer asutely well placed observations and examples, but your obvious places in Ceylon and Holland respectively is well placed.

Interesting notes on the therionthropic properties of the lion, which I believe are more toward the theological mythology figures of Hinduism incorporating the lion of Sinhala, in a European style with human limb features. I think this is more the effect sought rather than toward any shamanic properties.
While the lionhead was key in the 18th century hilt motif in Great Britain by about the period of this sword, as noted it also was present in the gold lionheads in Holland.
In addition to that European influence, as you have observed, the opposed or alternating quillon terminals are indeed a European affectation seen often on many hilt configurations, especially on hangers. It may be pointed out that this feature also became apparant in a number of weapons such as the dadao in China and others.

It is important to emphasize the nature of this sword, which actually corresponds to the swords of the European gentry which became known curiously as 'pillow swords' as it was thought they were kept as personal protection in personal chambers. Actually these simple cross hilt swords were 'walking swords', and intended to represent status in a fashionable accoutrement sense. While the fragile materials of the hilts decry thier effectiveness in pitched combat, their primary function was image, even though they had limited degree as weapons.

Good observation on the four dot star or rosette, and its place in the heraldic use. Actually rather than a strategic symbolic device, I think that most of the interpretations of this device can be construed temporally in many ways. However, it seems quite likely in may simply represent the quatrefoil, which like the four leaf clover is a positively charged symbol representing good luck and in some perspective, the cross.

I still maintain that this sword, like the examples seen in ivory and I believe even crystal (though I have not yet seen an example of these, but the material was used at the time), these status oriented swords were produced in ports of call or trade locations for European consumption rather than use by Ceylonese people. Just as noted earlier, many of these style swords were produced for presentation to important merchants and traders in these regions, as image was of course keenly important in the dealings in trade.
Elaborate and sumptuously decorated hilts represented elevated status of the individual to his clients and prospective buyers, and his success would suggest power and install confidence in transactions, a well known practice through all times and cultures.

A fantastically important and historic sword!!!

All very best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote