View Single Post
Old 25th March 2010, 04:54 AM   #1
M ELEY

Default Old Dutch hanger

Yes, I've resurrected this old sword again. Years ago, I posted some poor pics of it, but now that we have the European forum, I'm hoping perhaps to get some more info on it. Some background research-
This sword has an exact representation of it that appears in 'Swords and Hilt Weapons' B&N Books, pg 68 and also in Leslie Southwick's 'Price Guide to Antique Edged Weapons', pg 155. That example a fine museum-quality item with better detail and carved ivory hilt. That being said, I still believe that this hanger came from the same source...Singhalese, ca 1660-1700, Second Anglo-Dutch War period, probably made for the Dutch market. The book example believed to have been made for the Dutch EIC. As you can see from my example, the hilt is a seated lion with claw uplifted, guard is a hunting dog curled up, quillons are monster heads like appear on kastane. The wood appears tropical. The broad old blade with shallow double fullers and ancient brownish primer (to retard salt water rust? As found on some naval pieces?). Note the 4-dot (or is it diamond? Egg-shape?) forge mark. Also please note the wing(?) carved shapes facing each other on the hilt.
Does anyone recognise this stamp? Does anyone know what the wing carving might represent? Is there a Shri Lanken or Dutch symbol of a sitting lion I am unaware of? Perhaps a Dutch standard, flag or symbol? How about the wing pattern associated with the Dutch? EIC? Has anyone else seen a hanger like this one? Any association with the East India Company?
Attached Images

M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote