View Single Post
Old 8th April 2018, 03:50 PM   #12
kai

Hello Gustav,

Quote:
The feature common to Salayer hilts is the rather pronounced neck, the "bridge" under it is missing (if it ever was there, patina is absolutely even).
I'm with Jean that this hilt with its planar head seems to be a pangulu ma'bainang (aka takala) variant rather than a Salayer pangulu ca'gillung.

BTW, the bridge is a dam here - just not pierced. IMHO this isn't a defining feature for any hilt type: More of an optional add-on, especially for above-average carving quality.

Quote:
I have never before seen a carving similar to that on my hilt, and suppose, it perhaps was an "individual model" by a person who perhaps wasn't a professional woodcarver.
It may be fairly unique and village style; does look reasonably well-carved to me though! Any idea what kind of wood was utilized?

Quote:
What I wanted to say is, when you look at it on your hand, the carvings on hilt are echoing (and continuing) the wood chatoyance effect on Sampir. I know it sounds weird.
No, already understood - looks nice, indeed.

Quote:
Well, he didn't write about them, he just shows one on page 74.
Yes, the pangulu ca'gillung also comes with badik (often this hilt variant with additional protrusion as shown in Fig. 286). The Bugis community seems to agree that pangulu ca'gillung is typical for Salayer. However, trade/etc. will also have brought it elsewhere.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote