View Single Post
Old 15th March 2016, 09:59 AM   #18
BANDOOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCole
and how old is this shield?
GREETINGS TCOLE
I HAVE GOOD INFORMATION ON THESE SHIELDS FROM ,AN EXPERT ON THIS SUBJECT ,HERE IS WHAT HE SAYS,REGARDS RAJESH

Hi Rajesh,
I have attached 2 shields that you own, as both are distinctly related. Both are made of a brass alloy and the decoration was (in the late 19thC) known as lac-coloured ware, a style used to imitate an enamel effect. The style of decoration used on these shields is quite late in origin, and was applied to alloys - some brass and some with a more tinned composition. The decoration is coloured lac that is heated and placed into carved or chased designs. This style of decoration is not known on anything prior to the 19thC, and I would say the work originates from the latter part of the 19thC, during the period of the Durbars. Artisans from all over India had a resurgence of business as they had the chance to not only compete for title and prizes, but also to sell their wares in bulk.The metalwork category was sub-divided into more specific groupings, one of which was 'tinned, painted and lac-coloured wares' - basically processes that mimicked enameling. The main centres of this were Moradabad, Jaipur, Peshawar and Kashmir.

There are some descriptive indicators that help steer towards a more specific regions on a particular design, but in general it is very hard to distinguish which centre a piece was made. None were signed and each produced wares to compete against each other, resulting in similarities in style.

Most dealers simply (and wrongly) call the type of work on these shields as from Benares, but Benares was more known for enamel work which this tries to simulate. Benares was known for a strong use of red and many shields (like one of yours) uses a predominately red palette.

These shields were made during a time outside of a martial use, and they were vessels to apply the artisans skills onto. The same work can be found on trays, urns and hooker bases.

Your shields are nice pieces and I would strongly advise they are not cleaned. The alloy will simply shine with any chemical cleaner and all evidence of age will be lost. I would simply rub in renaissance wax with a soft cloth which will not remove the patina and will preserve the surface well (and give a little sheen to it)

I hope this has been of some help.

Best

Last edited by BANDOOK; 15th March 2016 at 11:26 AM.
BANDOOK is offline   Reply With Quote