View Single Post
Old 3rd January 2010, 04:48 PM   #17
Norman McCormick

I have to agree with Steve with regard to the decoration on the hilt, very reminiscent of late 18thC early 19thC Western European, French?, style. The profile of the blade also suggests to me European input. There was plenty of French and British activity in North Africa at this period and maybe more to the point in the Balkan regions along the Turkish frontier and the Ionian Islands the French had a strong presence raising many irregular regiments amongst the locals. The Albanian/Greek Rasak rifle I have has a barrel that was made at the Mutzig Castle Armoury in Strasbourg which suggests a French, possibly Napoleonic period, rifle barrel was 'appropriated' for a local firearm. Mutzig Armoury 1793-1870, Rasak dated 1825. It does not seem too big a leap to suggest the possibility of a French officer/gentleman having a weapon made locally with the resultant cross cultural twist that appears to be present here. Does the method of suspension give any pointer? I think going down the 'scrimshaw' road is a dead end as this decoration does not suggest the type or form of engraving that is generally understood as 'scrimshaw'.
Regards,
Norman.

Last edited by Norman McCormick; 3rd January 2010 at 06:08 PM.