View Single Post
Old 2nd September 2016, 01:45 AM   #1
drac2k

Default An interesting Cuban Sword made by Collins & Co.

I have a modest collection of these Spanish Colonial sword type, that are quite often made by Collins & Co.. I recently saw this one on an auction and since the form had an unusual handle I bid on it & won it.The pictures really didn't give any great detail.
When I received it, my first point of interest was the stud for the frog, that stated the Republic of Cuba.I next looked at the scabbard & on the dirty drag I noticed some writing; It was the name Col.G.G.Menocal(Aurelio Mario Gabriel Francisco Garcia Menocal), and thus I looked him up and was astonished to find that this very capable man who had been field promoted while fighting the Spanish for independence, would serve 2 terms as Cuba's first President, run again in 1924, attempt a revolution in 1931 a run again in 1936.

This sword was presented to E.St.John Greble, who received the surrender of Havanna from the Spanish, served on the General's Staff & command of the artillery at Naco, Douglas & El Paso during the Mexican Crisis.He was a Major General who trained the 36th Division for combat in France and he toured the Western Front from Sept. 16 through Dec.7, 1917.
Attached Images

drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote