Thread: Tilang Kamerau
View Single Post
Old 16th October 2015, 10:38 PM   #8
Amuk Murugul

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Thanks Amuk.

..... however, you have raised my interest in the reason why this particular type of mandau is named thus, could you please oblige with an explanation? Thanks.

While I'm asking questions, could you please oblige by telling me what a "manang bali" is. Thanks again.
Hullo Alan,
YW.
I normally try not to engage in discussion which I feel can go on " 'til the cows come home". I usually just leave 'skyhooks' that interested parties can use for further research to their own satisfaction, should they so wish.
As a mark of my respect for you, I will answer your queries.

Basically, like the creature it is named after, it is short/small, light and quite effective.
The blade is curved upwards like a cavalry sabre, but with the blade having a reversed profile-taper (widens to the tip) and quite narrow at the handle end. Approx. 1/3-1/4 from the tip the back-edge slopes down to a point. Except for at the beginning and at the end of the slope (where there is a more sudden drop/curve), the slope is quite gentle. Unlike the usual mandau it was mainly used as a sword, as it would be next to useless as a chopper. Occidentals often mistake such an item for a "child's " weapon.

Manang bali is the third and highest order of priests. They, like the other priests, are the guardians of their culture and are probably the only people who still know Basa Sangiang.

BTW Roy,

Hilang/Ihlang/Ilang/Illang is merely the the Kenjah word for 'knife' which has been misinterpreted/mistranslated/adapted/adopted.

I am quietly confident in my knowledge. However, as always, I am open to persuasion by incontrovertible evidence.

That will be all.

Best,
Amuk Murugul is offline   Reply With Quote