View Single Post
Old 12th September 2010, 10:03 AM   #10
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG
I beleive that your sampir might be kemuning, there is no way of telling for sure unless you can show us pics of the sampir after you have clean it up. You may get wonderful chatoyance (Gehwang) after it is cleaned up & restored.

For your stem - Batang Serunai it is most probably of Sena wood, (Pterocarpus indicus) I think that is the scientific name that it is known as. It doesnt have as good a chatoyance affect as a kemuning but a respectable one. It is the choice of material for the stem Malay keris sheath. as it is lighter and believe to allow the blade to "breathe" better as oppose to the Sampir and Hulu that is usually made of kemuning and other hardwood that is beleive to have medicinal, spiritual and combat efficacy.

Which brings me to the subject of where this is from... My humble opinion is that judging from the shape of the sampr, if it is original to the piece, then the blade may be of a bugis variation from the peninsula... maybe up north. You may wish to get better insights from Alam & BlueErf on this tho. Be waiting for the restored pics...

Hello BigG,

thank's for comment. After cleaning the sarung I also think that the sampir is worked from Kemuning. I will post pictures in separate post.
Interesting that you determine the origin of the keris to Peninsula, have had the same feeling.

Best regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote