View Single Post
Old 25th May 2018, 02:29 PM   #6
kai

Hello Roland,

Quote:
1: I think a serious collector would never add a hair tuft to a blade which never got one. This would be ridiculous and he cannot show the piece to any other collector.

2: To add a hair tuft as an upgrade to increase the price is also not senseful, because most collectors know what the buy and they will laugh about such an attempt.
I agree with you that this practise is stupid and/or unethical.

However, I have seen enough of "upgrades" and other stupid things done to genuine artifacts as to never exclude their possibility, even if deemed unlikely. Caveat emptor...
(Just a general comment, not aimed at any piece specifically since I haven't personally handled any of them yet.)

Quote:
In my case the hair is braided and surely not a kind of silly upgrade by a collector.
This is certainly interesting and may help to narrow things down. Any chance to shoot close-ups without the hair getting into the way?

It probably won't be possible to assess from pics whether any of these attached tassels are really genuine - it may be possible to recognise later additions though. Anyway, I believe gathering as much data as possible will be a good start!

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote