View Single Post
Old 1st December 2009, 11:17 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Another intriguing mystery Fernando!
The backsword blade is indeed of 18th century form into the early 19th, and I believe is of cross section termed 'montmorency', typically seen on cavalry sabres and the straight cavalry blades as this appears to be.

The hilt is truly a paradox, intended as neo classic but the motif seems to be combining the elements of hunting weapons and traditional nautical theme, more recalling a traditional event rather than as a naval symbol. Perhaps these crudely cast details recall that naval officers often carried hunting type hangers in earlier times. While the combination of these components has a degree of age to the assembly, it is certainly not nearly to the age of the blade, and no idea what was intended with the hilt. The flat, uncast side of the guard is a bit disconcerting, and this hilt seems intended to resemble the guards seen on the spadroon type straight sabres of c.1780's to c.1810.

If I can recall, it seems I once saw an East India Company sabre with hilt with cast motif, in the theme style counterguard, but with EIC lion rather than the galleon or whatever the ship is here.

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote