View Single Post
Old 14th July 2016, 02:23 PM   #8
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royston
Excellent collection Gavin.

I am intrigued by the weapon one-up from bottom left. Is that a Dao with a secondary knife ?

Cheers
Roy
Thanks Roy,

Intriguing it is and yes, that is a secondary knife...it was one of those "I had to have pieces", just like the Kachin Dao with the carved, gilt and red lac scabbard across from it...The entire ensemble is just beautiful.

I'll start at the top.

The hair is very fine Human, not the typical goat hair seen in these regions.
The gold string work at the base of each hair bundle is stunning and the method of attachment in to the bamboo shaft is top notch.
The red and gold rattan binding at the blade end in also very nice.
The blade is a quality but simply forged blade, a thick and very sharp Naga "axe" head.
The Sheath is what I consider English leather, thick top quality military leather, perfectly stitched and nice and simply tooled...designed with a Sam Browne in mind is my thoughts.
The knife on the front is I feel, styled on a Fairbairn Sykes dagger but made by native hands. Its grip is covered in plaited leather...its a solid functional piece.
I suspect it was a bespoke piece made for a military officer who would have had to have spent some quality time with these people during and perhaps after WWII.

Gavin
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote