View Single Post
Old 8th December 2018, 05:03 AM   #1
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default Talismanic Devices and Imbuements on Islamic Arms

In two recent threads, one on Shamshir markings and the other on Arab spears, certain elements of markings found on them were interesting as they suggested talismanic properties which would be an interesting topic for discussion. In the spears case, there was a lozenge design which seems to have been widely used in such manner, and served as an apotropaic against the evil eye.

On the shamshir, the usual dual cartouches, the upper an ogival spheroid typically with ruler of the time or other information or other exhortations , while the lower typically had the makers name and date....are seen.
However to the left and above is a square with abjad letters in a grid, and known as a 'Beduh' square. These talismanic devices are often regarded as 'magic squares' and represent various number combinations which invoke the appropriate properties required.

I would like to look into these 'Beduh' squares further here, and determine more on how they are typically intended on sword blades; how widely were they used (if outside the Arab world and Mughal India) and examples of blades bearing them.

I would also like to learn more on the lozenge device and its significance in motif and designs on weapons in the Arab world.

Attached is the blade of the shamshir posted by William Fox with the typical cartouche configuration and the 'Beduh' square upper left. I am curious about the grid of only four squares, it seems most have nine.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote