View Single Post
Old 10th December 2018, 03:25 PM   #11
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian1
Hello everyone,
I'm not quite convinced yet but I'm a fact that you teach me interesting things .
This blade guides me to the early nineteenth but, because there is a but, I will try to find if Wilkinson has produced this type of blade for police hanger. When I have raised this mystery, if I succeed, then I will present to you to share, my "conclusions"
For now I put this beautiful "enigma" next to my other British "treasure"
Kind regards from Belgium

Fabrice, if I may say so, I will tell you that your stubbornness and tenacity in not accepting everything presented is the mark of a true researcher, and I admire your approach. Actually it is not that anyone is 'teaching' anyone else, but we are all learning together.

This field of collecting is one that is seldom traveled and items are, though considered 'common' or munitions grade....they are indeed rare as they were not produced in large volume.

Your theory that this could be an earlier example produced by Wilkinson may actually have possible plausibility as Wilkinson's firm as you know was primarily a gun maker in earlier years (from the Nock firm). As you note these firms often engaged in carrying bayonets and other items besides guns in the manner of contract production companies. There may be the case where Wilkinson might have contracted a subcontractor to produce a number of these on their behalf, and used a 'racked' stamp to place their name at the forte. These kinds of 'cross contracts' or subcontractors seem to be a regular element of business in these cases which was not necessarily well recorded other than probably daily accounting processes.

It is great when someone posts an item, especially an unusual one, and actively researches and shares their findings as well as querying other details here. Well done Fabrice! and please keep us posted OK?
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote