Thread: KERIS BLADE
View Single Post
Old 27th November 2011, 06:25 PM   #28
A. G. Maisey

Thank you Detlef, but in fact your couple of shots in post one give a more clear impression of the critical area than do these close ups.The close ups are bigger, but the shots have been taken at an angle to the ron dha itself.

If you have a copy of "Keris Jawa", there are a number of examples of the ron dha interpretation of various makers shown in that.

Any ron dha can vary within its classification and even from time to time by the same maker, however, what is important from the perspective of establishing a supportable tangguh is that the overall form of the tangguh cannot be attributed to a classification other than the one proposed.

In my opinion, the overall form of the ron dha on your keris cannot be aligned to any of the other major classifications.

If the form of the HB keris is a latter day echo of the Mataram keris form, the blumbangan should be square; in the photos you have provided of your keris, the blumbangan appears to me to be elongated, like a brick standing on its end (boto adeg). It is possible that this effect could be caused by the angle at which the photo was taken, and very often, in blades that are less than premium, it is a little difficult to decide if the blumbangan is square or boto adeg.

The boto adeg blumbangan is a primary identifier of a Surakarta keris.

The overall visual impression (pawakan) of this keris is of a robust, forceful, strong keris, it does lack the defined chest and back of the classic Surakarta form, but as I have said, this is not a premium quality keris, it is a keris of the common man. But it is a strong, brave keris. The typical low to medium quality Yogya keris does not present this forceful, aggressive persona.

It is always possible that if I had this keris in my hand I could change my mind, but based upon what I believe I can see in these photos, it is simply not possible for me to support any classification other Surakarta, however, most definitely not Surakarta of premium quality.
A. G. Maisey is online now   Reply With Quote