View Single Post
Old 11th October 2006, 12:50 PM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Agreed Ron.

I had a little fling on the second one last night and didn't come close. Ebay is always coming up with surprises. Don't know that we are necessarily seeing a big recent shift in prices -- Moro pieces in general have been climbing fairly steadily over the last 5-10 years. Used to see good barung and kris in the $150-200 range, but almost twice that now for similar pieces. No doubt others can go back further and quote even lower prices.

Perhaps this Forum has something to do with the increase in prices of Philippine weapons in general. Certainly it ofers more information than any other single site on the different tribal forms of these weapons, and some of our members have their own informative web sites.

Key sites like Oriental Arms, Ashoka Arts, Lion Gate, etc. have tended to push/reflect the market limits for Philippines weapons. Good stuff, well described and in good condition does command higher prices -- but the high end tends to drag the lower end along as less discerning buyers try to catch up.

The ethnographic edged weapon market has seen many cycles of popularity. Japanese swords are a good example, and more recently Islamic swords. I'm sure Lee could tell us tales about medieval and earlier period swords that have gone through similar inflationary periods.

Personally I'm waiting for the great dha explosion so I can retire.

Ian.

Last edited by Ian; 11th October 2006 at 01:04 PM.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote