View Single Post
Old 7th October 2016, 03:12 PM   #66
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

The question may be obscure in that perhaps I should have said why? Why this sword? Of course it is one of those Other oriental swords at plate XXX11 of Butin on #16 and more the style we associate with Zanzibar/Oman. Michael Backman at http://www.michaelbackmanltd.com/65.html goes on to note on the decorative form of his East African comb from which the decorative style appears to be linked to this Zanzibari Sword. ...This hilt was therefor likely made in Zanzibar as it was a collecting centre for Ivory and the scabbard form is usually Oman..decorated in leather with Omani style circles. Omani artisans were in Zanzibar as part of the flow of traders/artesans from Oman as Zanzibar flourished.

Quote "
This fine and extremely rare ivory comb is a beautiful example of Zanzibar craftsmanship. Cut from a single piece of ivory, it has sixteen prongs and is inlaid on both sides with chased gold plaques. There are no losses either to the gold or the ivory. It is of an unusual form and has in the past been attributed to SriLanka, but the gold panels and the form of the ivory can now be seen to related to the ivory and gold work used on Omani-influenced sword hilts that were manufactured in Zanzibar in the eighteenth century."Unquote

The more I think about it the more I suspect the correct name for these weapons is Zanzibari...although good reason indicates their use in a broad belt across the Indian Ocean. Perhaps looking across the entire Indian Ocean basin evidence is there of the Zanzibari Nimcha form (of which there are many) on the outer Islands, Comores, Off the Zanj coast, Yemen , Oman, and including Sri Lankan style shown at Butins plate XXX11.

On the Kastana I stumble when it comes to the flimsy blade and at the quillons which are from the Vagra as opposed to any sword association... however, since when was blade style important when signifying the blade of a Nimcha? Perhaps more leeway could be extended to the Vagra form since on earlier weapons perhaps they didn't have any...? It seems to me that more than a passing note may be applied to Butin at this important plate XXX11 and other members may wish to comment...

To assist I place again the Butin Plate XXX11 the Gold Comb decoration now related to Zanzibari Hilts and the typical Omani Scabbard with circle or swirl decoration.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 7th October 2016 at 06:36 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote