View Single Post
Old 29th February 2016, 03:48 PM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This sword is really attractive, displaying the kind of rugged charm of these African sword forms. It is indeed from the West African coastal countries and I can recall many years ago, these with similar hilts were sometimes referred to as 'slavers' swords, giving to wondering just how far back the form might have gone.
What is interesting is how often these occur with 'kaskara' type blades, as seem here with one of the typical 'masri' type (three central fuller) and the distinctive dukari moons.

As pointed out by Iain, the 'sandwich' type bolster at the forte is characteristically a Saharan feature seen often on Tuareg takouba, and is often an indicator of an earlier European blade. However, in my view and I hope Iain concurs, this seems a typical native made blade.

The sword overall reflects the often long lives of these blades and how they go through sometimes many incarnations as they travel and change hands through the African tribal interactions and complex trade networks.
The scabbard on this of course reflects distinct Manding type leather work, probably prompting Colin's thoughts toward that source.

Excellent note by Tim on the similarity to the Cameroon swords, also cousins of the takouba and often included in the outstanding research by Iain on these swords over the years!
Great photo too! perfect context.

It has always been interesting to me how far inland the 'geographic' term West Africa actually extends into the Saharan regions, and truly included the trade entrepots as far as Mali and others .

Iain, a question, do the rust stain/spots seen here on this blade have anything to do with possibly galvanic removal during the standard rough sharpening often used on these blades? I often think that use of imported steel with galvanizing might be indicated by this.

Also, do you agree that the extension on the 'sandwich' at the forte is mindful of a vestigial langet reflecting influence of European sabres?
The geometric patterns are intriguing and it would be great to see if possible to align with other material culture motifs.

Pretty exciting sword Colin!!!!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote