View Single Post
Old 15th November 2015, 02:33 PM   #3
Miguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maddock
Peening on 1788
Hi Ken,
I am not qualified to give advice on whether or not you should replace the grips on your 1788 pattern sword as I do not know how the value would be affected, if this is a criteria, but if you can replace them as well as you have replaced the grips on the LC 1796 sword I personally would not hesitate as I think you have done a splendid job only wish that I could do as good.
I'm really glad that you have posted this thread as I have a similar situation with a HC 1796 pattern sword and would welcome your advice on how to remove the hilt from the sword as although the disc and knuckle guard are loose the grips have no movement at all and the pin through the ears and tang is seized in the tang. I have tried to remove the pin but am concerned that I may split the grips. You mentioned that you fashioned and fitted your grips without dissembling the hilt and I would really like to know how this was achieved. I will post some photos of my sword in the next day or so in order that you may better answer, hopefully assuming
that you will.
Regards
Miguel
Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote