View Single Post
Old 21st March 2010, 03:42 PM   #4
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Hi Manel (ā la Portuguese )

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtan
Hi 'Nando,
This is what is adroitly called in America a "Bilbo" (from Bilbao, Euzkadi/Vasconia). An economical, tough and no-nonsense weapon that was used and exported everywhere, but was to characterize the Spanish Caribbean of the mid-17th C. Some were still around as recent as the early 19th C. In fact, this popular type was made all around Iberia, not only in the Basque country.
This? A Bilbo sword? You drive me into some confusion .
Aren't Bilbo hilts another thing? What's the connection between Bilbos and Cup hilts... or de Taza in Castillian ... or de copos de Tigela in Portuguese?
I guess i find the attribution you mention 'unadroit'

Quote:
Regarding the "espadeiro", it well might be that he was of that demi-god race of supermen also known as gallegos, known for their fighting prowess, sword-smithing ...
I wouldn't think so. Not that you aren't demi-gods; that, i am sure of . I mean about the blade being Gallega; well, you never know .

Quote:
... and as makers of the Ambrosia elixis (aka Albariņo).
Wait a minute; the Alvarinho from my side doesn't stay behind !
By the way, how do Gallegos call these hilts? taza (cup) or tigela/tijola (bowl)?

Quote:
I don't think the beautiful grip goes hand-in-hand with the rest of such an utilitarian weapon. Possibly, it was added after-market, or as repair to the original wood handle? ...
I am with you on this one.
But given its patina and pommel screw condition, this must have taken place long long ago.

Porta-te bem.

Fernando
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote