View Single Post
Old 19th March 2010, 07:15 PM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default A cup hilt sword for coments

What makes this one be an unusual example is naturally the grip, in its twisted groove form, made of pale brass.
Condition is not the best; that's when it comes in hand call them old warriors .
I take it this is from the end XVII ventury, but subject to better judgement.
On one face of the blade we can discern the engraved text, most certainly a spurious situation, but 'good enough' to atribute it a Portuguese origin. The text, partly inferred due to some letters being deeply faded, says about ENRIQUE COL ESPADEIRO. The wording on the other face is completely vanished; not originally inexistant though, as the custom was to complete the text with IN ALAMANIA or DEL REY IN ALAMANIA ... more or less misspeled.
The credit for the Portuguese origin, and not Spanish, is that the word ESPADEIRO can be totally read and, if it were faked in Spanish (Castillian) would be ESPADERO ... the I missing.
Rather wide fullered blade and knucle guard screwed to pommel, characteristics appointing to being a military specimen. Perhaps belonging to someone above rank, due to the grip added value.
Coments will be welcome and thanked for.
The pictures are not the best; i was in a hurry to post this thing, to show you guys.

Fernando

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote