View Single Post
Old 4th October 2010, 01:52 PM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Absolutely excellent Michael!!! and while you modestly insist your expertise does not include edged weapons, the truth is that your knowledge of arms and armour in these periods is so comprehensive, it would be impossible to consider that your working knowledge does not include them. While not keyed on specifics, ancillary material you have is the same as applies to all types of weaponry of the times.

Your assessment of the style of the marking engraving is gained from awareness of similar weapons markings of the period noted so there is an example of what I mean.

I had not checked in 'Armi Bianche' on this, though I do have that incredible volume buried here in the bookmobile (my wife cringed when she saw this being loaded . It is truly a vital reference in studying edged weapons as these Italian weapons had such vast influence on so many forms. As can be seen here, the schiavona even entered the Austrian service, as apparantly it did in other instances outside its well known associations with Venice, and Dalmatian forces there.
Seeing this example has been great in expanding our knowledge and perspective on these beautiful swords.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote