View Single Post
Old 19th August 2015, 05:23 AM   #6
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Jim:

I agree strongly with the idea that brass inlays of the face of blades are probably of talismanic importance or purely decorative. They are found occasionally in mainland SE Asian blades, as well as some from southern China (Yunnan). I have several dha/daab/dao with inserted dots towards the tip. The "notches" on the back of these swords are a relatively recent phenomenon and purely decorative (according to native informants). Since the bronze inserts are part of forging the blade, it is highly unlikely they indicate what would happen when the blade was used subsequently. Likewise the file work and copper or bronze inserts on the spine of the blade are put there at the time the blade is made.

The idea that these features represent some tally of kills or heads taken is not supported facts, and yet the notion continues to be spread, perhaps as a marketing tool by a few sellers of these items.

I think it is important that this Forum debunks such myths as often as they come up. I mean no disrespect to Roland_M or Green in raising this point. They are not alone in having heard these rumors, and I want to thank them for raising the issue again just so we can remind our readers of the facts as they have emerged in these pages over the years.

There is always the possibility that what has been stated as "factual" may not be universally true. If anyone has firm ethnographic evidence that a SE Asian culture kept "score" of an individual's kills or heads taken by marking his weapon, then please report it here--it would be important new information.

A further note on mandau. The reports of early travelers in Borneo noted that individual natives usually owned several mandau. These were all purpose tools and weapons that were made by the respective owner. Within an individual's arsenal there could be wide variation in decoration, carving, weight, length, etc. A tribal leader might have 20 or more mandau.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote