View Single Post
Old 10th October 2009, 07:25 PM   #17
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I really dont mind spending hours researching, compiling and writing, but it would be nice to know the material was read. It is intended for those who are serious about learning on weapons, and in hopes for discussion whether in rebuttal, support or agreement.

David is someone whom I consider a serious student on arms and armour, who actually collects, examines, observes and ponders weaponry, and always enters into discussions with astute observations or constructive comments.

This thread posting these markings was a soundly placed and honest effort to initiate discussion and learn more on these markings. I added material I have compiled for many years in support and to comprehensively present what is known on these blade markings.

I appreciate the photos of markings on ethnographic weapons that were placed as I had asked, and thank Brian and Spriral for adding them.

I very well understand the statements made by Jens, also a serious collector, scholar and researcher on weapons, which were intended to encourage the discussion that David had sought for this topic. Those of us who know Jens well understood his words, which expressed his disappointment in active participation in various instances overall, not specifically on this thread.

I also understand the comments added by others, although well written, but drifting far from the purpose and topic on this thread, which was intended to discuss blade markings.

In my earlier posts, I encouraged participants here to view the material and discussion on European Armoury in an effort to align the importance of these and other European blade markings which are found on ethnographic weapons.

I regret that my posts clearly fell short of thier intention as they appear to not have been read, much as the entire purpose of this thread has been lost at this point. In my opinion, this sort of fouled interaction is altogether a reflection of one of the great shortcomings in the serious study of arms.
I would hope, that out of respect for David, and in solidarity that those out there who do care about studies in weapons might continue here on the original course.

Regardless, David I thank you for posting this and for your always helpful efforts and keen insight. You are an inspiration that I hope will be followed by others.

All very best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote