View Single Post
Old 5th November 2008, 11:20 AM   #28
Nonoy Tan

Tracing the origins of these weapons is something that will definitely require a lot of research. The Kaling axe, like the "Kalinga Shield" both appear to be “unique.” Yes, you have an important point that may provide with with a good lead. We may have to trace the origins of both simultaneously.

Being able to discover the possibility of an Ibanag origin is exciting. It is known historically that while the western coast of Luzon (i.e. Ilocos provinces) was a thriving place for international trade, so did the eastern Luzon coast (Cagayan, etc. where the Ibanags are found). Unfortunately, the western coast has been empahized more in popular books, and not too many know about the eastern provinces. There are lots of archaeological evidences from Eastern Luzon what we may have to check, as they are often overlooked. We may be able to get some information from the University of the Philippines archaeological society.

I think that we also need collaborative evidence in the form of documentation, on the Ibanag's use of the crescent-shaped axe. I think that the the University of Santo Tomas in Manila is the best place to get it, as it holds the biggest and oldest collection of Spanish records made in the Philippines. If we want a short-cut, we can try to contact Fr. Pedro V. Salgado (a Domican priest) in the Philippines. He has gone through those documents that relate to the Ibanags and the eastern luzon provinces. Indispensable too, I think, would be a check on "The Philippine Islands" by Blair and Robertson, containing translated Spanish documents. It is rather voluminous (55 volumes) but one of the best there is.

We may have to also look into the original text of the region's oral history and songs. We will probably need to gather whatever has been written on this, including vocabulary. The Summer Institute of Linguistics (with an office in Manila) may be a good source of information.

If we are able to develop an effective methodology of research, I suspect that the same process can also help us trace the origins of other Philippine weapons.

Lots of work ahead. Shall we commence? :-)

Nonoy
Nonoy Tan is offline   Reply With Quote