Thread: Oils
View Single Post
Old 11th March 2008, 04:02 AM   #11
ferrylaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Yeah Ferry, you're right, you can get minyak cendana from Akar Sari, but my experience has been that they're too expensive. I buy pala panjang from akar sari, and damar selo, but I don't buy minyak cendana. Toko Sedap was #1 for a long time for any of this sort of stuff, but according to what my wife tells me, they've fallen into a bit of a hole since I was there last year. I know where there are a couple of other shops that sell oils, but I can't give the job to my wife to chase up a new supplier, because there are a number of different types of minyak cendana, and some have a pretty lousy smell.It'll sort itself out OK when I'm actually there on the ground.

Actually, I rather like melati, but some people have told me they don't like it because its too sweet, too much like a woman's perfume.

My wife's mother owned a jamu factory in Pare, near Kediri. Before she died she had an enormous gudang full to overflowing of cendana wangi. I mean FULL. Within three months of her death that warehouse was empty, all the wood stolen by employees.
the demand to cendana wangi wood is very high. this demand might couse the young tree being harvest far too soon. as the result we finf poor quality cendana wangi wood and oil. even the javanese cendana wood are also expensive commodity. but it cannot have a smell like cendana wangi.

buying cendana wangi oil would go much cheaper when we can afford to buy a bunch of them , like 1 litre or even more... but finding a thrusted source is another problem to solve. as you know, cant put your thrust easily these days. I plan to find my self a few bottle of those cendana wangi oil ( 5ml each bottle) I like to sniff on them during my break time...make me calm, relaks, and pleasant feeling.
No wonder people use them as an aroma theraphy.

about the jasmine oil...I recon it too sweet also. but sweet is always nice to smell. people like cendana wangi for its aroma, but people prefer cendana for its rarity...its value as an expensive oil, as we all know, since timor leste separate from Indonesia, cendana wangi became more and more expensive...
Any body have information about cendana wangi in timor? are they still around? are they survive? I really hope they're still available there.
ferrylaki is offline   Reply With Quote