View Single Post
Old 6th August 2006, 04:01 AM   #14
Andrew

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Bowditch
I thought that I would share a recent addition to my collection. It is a Burman dha (from Burma, specifically the Burman people). The pierced ivory work of the handle is wonderfully intact, and I understand is a style characteristic of Molmein, in southern Burma (near the peninsula). Ivory carving has apparently died out in Molmein itself, but the tradition continues in Rangoon. I have another dha with the same style handle, which has a sleeping Buddha reclining inside, and similar-looking characters peaking out of the vines, but I can't make out if the figure inside this one is sleeping (it looks kind of like it is climbing or standing on a rock).

The blade is a bit extraordinary, as it has a very sharp back edge to it - the first I have seen. Its well made, with sandwich construction (jiagang), jist a narrow edge of the harder inner layer of steel visible.

The scabbard I am sure is a later replacement, but was done carefully to match the original decoration on the handle. A give-away is that the throat of the scabbard was made narrow, instead of round with a width even with the face of the handle.

Mark, that is an absolutely exquisite sword. The sharpened back edge is fantastic. Did Philip polish this for you?
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote