View Single Post
Old 5th February 2012, 04:51 PM   #29
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantia
Hi David,

I can sort of see where you're coming from there, and some 'axes' (weapons of that family) of course do have a cutting edge that has a forward leaning arc, but in my experience they have it in addition to the classic back leaning curve, effectively variations of the 'half moon or cresent shape. Even a uniform curved cutting edge where the apex of the curve is at 90 degrees to the handle. I cant think of any where the traditional 'attack' angle is completely absent?
Even the Zagnal (sp?) usually has a light inward angle on the blade, so does the Bairagi ( I know they are more 'war hammers' than axes but..)
The Bhuj occasionally has a flat main edge with a curved end, but more often is like a big downcurving bowie knife on a long handle so has the incurved blade like a clip pointed Khukhi.
I know the Indians loved eccentric weapons, I'm thinking of those axes with the 3/4 arc on the blade and an antelope head on the end with the horns being spikes (can't think of the name) but even on them the edge goes right round to the handle
Problem with this one is that its the standard 'saddle axe' shape exactly, but reversed.
If we can find a full metal one with the blade this way round, that would put it to bed?

*goes offf to check some books........*

Hmm, I'll have a look at google!

Bally,
this is interesting, have a look at those above, I wonder what yours will look like after a careful clean?

Thanks BTW, Indian weapons are my favourites, so I'm sincere in my enthusiasm (and envy) for this axe. I'm very glad I helped talk you into it, I think you got a bargain by the looks of it.

Gene

Salaams ~ and Bump ! This post contains the important reference to Persian saddle axes by Anthony North from his illustrated Islamic Arms and Armour.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote