Thread: Odd Sword
View Single Post
Old 4th August 2015, 04:41 PM   #76
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
And now, for those who have fun with talismanic writings, here is the contents of the blank page that preeceds the prologue of "Rules of the Knights of the Order of Christ".

The hand written paragraph says:

Letras de muita virtude para trazerem consigo; which in a free interpretation means Letters of most virtue that you should bring with you.
Note this time are the crosses that are used as 'separators'; particularly crosses of Christ.
Also note the author says letters ... not initials.

I hope Ibrahiim tolerates my hijaking his thread, but i guess he enjoys this particular part.

Absolutely not a problem in fact I consider this a masterclass. My problem is that there are two sword blades to consider and in the case of one it appears as Latin whereas the blade of #1 is in my view either Hebrew or something related like Old Church Slavonic ...which is linked. I see no Latin in the inscription at #1 and whereas I am delighted to learn the amazing details you have uncovered ...and I have to say I have never seen it noted on these pages before thus it is a first for library !!...and most eloquently presented...

It is apparent that this is a field of study completely missed by most people as is the other aspect of this thread (or one of them) which is the Talismanic nature of the pommel face showing the gridded format common in Arabian artefacts based on the figure five (itself Talismanic) ..

I think that there is a lot of scope to either continue the discussion as you have picked it up...or to open under another thread the intracacies of the amazing subject in its own right...and perhaps for someone to further split the thread into its other part viz;Talismanic signs in General or as you may advise. I spent a few days considering the Talismanic aspects of various items in this sector and the possibilities are huge. The 6 pointed star is monumental in its own right and there are massive texts on such items as Silver Talisman Rings throughout Africa. Trying to focus on sword blade Talismans is virtually impossible so the subjects may have to relocate to the Miscellaneous section perhaps?

On a technicality it could go to the European as European/Latin translations inscribed on swords etc but for sure it is a very important subject for these pages. On the other hand it may fit into the broader aspects of Jims famous thread on Sword Blade Marks at http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ht=blade+marks

Note; Several hours may be required for readers to absorb the details on Medieval Inscriptions on European Swords however it is well worth a glance. Please see http://uu.diva-portal.org/smash/get/...FULLTEXT01.pdf

Citation for the original published paper (version of record):
Wagner, T., Worley, J., Holst Blennow, A., Beckholmen, G. (2009)
Medieval Christian invocation inscriptions on sword blades.
Waffen- und Kostümkunde, 51(1): 11-52

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote