Thread: Odd Sword
View Single Post
Old 7th June 2015, 02:03 PM   #23
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

I place again the detail important in considering the nature of the star geometry on this added to sword at Project... The tang is extended and the pommel is added ...therefor, the star design should be seen in that context...

Quote"Star of David researchers generally indicate the Non-Jewish Star of David by the name Hexagram. Hexagram is a name invented only in recent centuries; I mean, it is not known for thousands of years how the non-Jewish Stars of David were named. "Hex" is the Greek word that represents the number six, "gram" means form. Even the Christian name for the Shield of David "the Star of David" was invented only in recent centuries.

Muslims called the Star of David always the Seal of Solomon, but Seal of Solomon was used both in Judaism and in Islam also as the name of a pentagram. The Indian Star of David is commonly named Yantra".Unquote.

Star and Hexagram appear in Islamic tradition and can be seen on Islamic Silver ..from Oman on items I have researched on ladies head dress and broches as part of an in depth appreciation of Omani Silver generally...Both the star and Hex are common in this regard. However, no hex designs are recorded or seen on Omani Swords in the ceremonial style or other Omani Swords as Pommel decoration thus this decoration appears as a one off and unrelated issue.

Below I place pictures relevant to tang and Pommel extension and an idea of the type of design on Pommels (which usually don't have any design at all) See also the form of Omani Silver showing stars and the pentagon or Hex design but in the Islamic meaning unrelated to the Jewish style..See the Hexagon decoration on what I recall was a Red Sea variant applied probably in the Yemen to the throat of the blade... For interest.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Attached Images

Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote