View Single Post
Old 29th May 2014, 05:59 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Ken,
Its been a long time since looking into these old British patterns, especially with the hangers so I'll need to retrieve some of the books now buried here in the Bookmobile. I will say that this is 'of the type' of the British hangers which became known as the M1851 and I believe there was another a little earlier if memory serves. These were based largely on extant German patterns.The use of the so called Passau wolf had ceased in Germany by the 18th century but Samuel Harvey (indeed a maker associated with these) had adopted the mark as a 'quality' reference alluding to the well known German makers in Hounslow and Shotley Bridge of the previous century. The rather arbitrary model or pattern designations were derived much later by collectors using old artwork (Dighton uniform prints I believe and others). Establishing 'patterns' or 'model numbers' was achieved usually by using these old artworks and in many cases military regulations and orders reviewed in later years by researchers and collectors.

A most helpful reference is "Swords and Blades of the American Revolution" by George Neumann, and of course the venerable "Swords of the British Army" by Brian Robson, both the old 1975 version and better revised version. One of the best references on British cavalry is the recently released book by Richard Dellar.
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote