View Single Post
Old 24th September 2012, 11:28 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This is a Dahomean 'hwi' as described in "African Arms and Armour" (Spring) and from "Sabres Decores du Dahomey" by Palau Marti (Objets et Mondes, 1967, plate attached).
I have one like this but with brass hilt, the blade about same length but with stepped (yelman) and I believe a nagan type wavy motif inscribed. It seems like the research led to probably Vodun or similar West African folk religion with python worship. The item was virtually identical to an example in a Belgium museum (collected by French officer in Dahomey I believe c.1860s). These large knife/swords were worn in degree it seems, by the intriguing units of 'Amazons', the female warriors of the king.
There seems to be a range of variations in these Dahomean and West African edged weapons, with the plate from Marti showing a few.

The blade on this one looks pretty much earlier 19th century vintage but the hilt seems replacement Interesting that the dentated semicircle linear motif resembles the sickle marks paired on trade blades prevalent in trade spheres.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote