View Single Post
Old 12th September 2019, 02:47 PM   #330
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Salaams Ed Great questions and here goes~

The Silver is highest grade obtainable and used to be around the 92% which was why they used Maria Theresa Thalers melted down . The other source is silver on the international market again of the highest quality. They import a lot from China but also have their own mines at Sohar .. Megan ...Silver extracted as they dig out copper … Ingots can be purchased there and again top quality stuff . The other source has always been traditionally from a ladys dowry when she dies and since that is always 100% top quality it was a way of retaining a degree of purity in silver. Silver when it is mixed with other metals is dull and lifeless but harder and lasts longer . Pure silver goes into a patina all of its own as it oxidises fast.

CITES is in effect here and the rules are strict for use of hilt material. It amazes me why more use is not made of mammoth and other excellent materials and I am just about to show a white material composite fibrous ceramic that looks and feels like Ivory and takes all the pins like the real thing. Regretably not everyone will take notice of the dwindling stocks of these wild animals. Giraffe horn comes off dead adult African giraffes usually fully grown adult males. The fact is they are protected in law.

Price I cant speak about but the top makers can demand high end valuations and any that are low priced are usually not original Omani crafted..It is quite incredible that the main tools are still a six inch nail and a toffee hammer!

Usually make time is about a month ...It varies on the degree of decoration...The maker will make the belt and scabbard and hilt but may also farm out parts to other makers so you can have a master scabbard maker and a belt maker a hundred or more miles apart... The maker just puts them together although there are makers that can do the whole thing themselves.

The Blade is the most important part. The inspection of a blade looks quite ridiculous ! Taste smell musical note when struck !! So far as I can tell all blades are imported. It is said that meteorite metal is the best ...though not easy to find? New products include Russian blades nicely made in some type of wootz or even only a surface decoration ?

Most Omani Khanjars go to the demand in Oman as other countries close by have their own styles like UAE Bahrain Saudia and Yemen thus the tradition is very strong right here. Naturally the network of Arabian style souks presents Omani work around the region but its best market is right here at home. Millions of tourists also have a massive world market effect.

The weapon is Iconic and the badge of office of Omani heads of family thus can be worn at any time for any occasion by heads of state or men of any age including Eids, weddings, tribal and other meetings or just worn to go down the souk...

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 12th September 2019 at 03:06 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote