View Single Post
Old 11th June 2017, 01:00 PM   #7
Cerjak

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadaxe
I believe this rapier was assembled from various parts. The blade is obviously of high quality (regardless the signs of time and use), the guard was damaged intentionally with the two main branches bent backwards (for unknown reason) thus making it awkward to use, the grip is crude and does not fit the weapon properly, the pommel is too small and improper - it looks like a pommel from a knife (I didn't find alike in Norman's book).
The two Quillons don’t have the same size and I don’t think that the they were be made to be horizontal or if it was the case ,the Quillon terminal have been reworked to have the same shape than the pommel I don’t believe this second hypothesis.
Yes, me too I did not find any similar pommel with urn shape in Norman but the size for me is correct compare to other rapier of same size and also the point of balance is similar.
The hilt is somewhat a crude work but in an other side the smith has made the terminal quillons matching with the pommel.
I still believe that this work had been done later in the 17-century reusing a blade of high quality .
Attached Images

Cerjak is offline   Reply With Quote