View Single Post
Old 7th May 2006, 03:50 PM   #9
Emanuel

Hello Jim,

The aversion to touching metal is also seen amongst the Masai is it not? As I understand it, the whole cult associated with smiths and metal craftsmen was relegated to magic and sorcery among the Tuareg. I hadn't thought this extended to weapons, as some of their spears are entirely made of metal -iron or steel- including shafts.
I have tried looking for the circular motifs in Tuareg jewellery, but I haven't found any. The cross of Agades on Tim's telek is omni-present in jewellery of all kinds, as are some of the criss-crossing patterns and rombic figures. I will try to post some pictures of these soon. By western influence do you mean the western world or still within Africa?
The takouba I posted seems to have a thick blade, so I wonder how springy it is. I've never handled such swords, are they heavy? well balanced? About the rounded tip, why restrict fighting styles to such an extent? It would not be difficult to make a functional point and thereby provide more versatility. Wouldn't thrusting be more effective against the hide shields?

Many thanks for your responses,
Manolo
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote