View Single Post
Old 16th March 2014, 07:59 PM   #9
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

I attached four items from various auctions.

As I said, by about the mid-16th century the relatively light and short arquebus was commonly replaced by the much longer and heavier musket which also had a bigger bore. Sadly there do not seem to be any records on the development of musketeer's bandeliers from the second half of the 16th century but wooden powder measures must have made their breakthrough, and soon we find a pleated leather pouch which is commonly thought to have held balls.

Sometimes, especially on Dutch influenced samples like the bandeliers in the Emden armory, we also see a brass ring or just a leather loop attached to carry a portion of matchcord.
All the Emden bandeliers consist of a broad, tooled and blackened leather belt and feature 8 to 14 wooden powder measures covered by thin black leather; where the ends of the belt are joined, a pleated, sturdy leather pouch is sewn to the leather. Additionally, these Emden samples have a piece of felt sewn to the shoulder section of the belt (German: Schulterfilz), which made it easier for the musketeer to rest and carry the heavyweight musket (ca. 7 to 10 kgs). Interestingly, none of these Emden bandeliers has a special flask for priming powder fitted with a long nozzle, as we know it from bandeliers made in Switzerland and Austria shown before.
The image of the caliverman's or pikeman's armor attached at the bottom, combined with a musketeer's bandelier, is of course historically incorrect; it is just a photo impression from the Emden Armory.

In my collection still are three bandeliers from the Emden Armory, ca. 1600-20. One of them has attached a powder measure that is much heavier than the others made of wood; it consists of lead and has a removable leaden cap, both covered with black leather. I cannot think of any practical reason except a better prevention against moisture, but I know that at least the caps of such measures were sometimes made of lead in England, and I attached a few samples. But even then: a complete bandelier consisting of leaden chargers would have been simply too heavy, so what?
Please see also
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18290

I attached some samples of leaden caps for bandelier flasks found in England.

m
Attached Images

Last edited by Matchlock; 17th March 2014 at 12:16 PM.
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote