View Single Post
Old 22nd December 2021, 06:01 PM   #13
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you Ed for that information on 'crocodile cults', which is mentioned in I think Reed (1975) but may have been in Briggs.
The use of crocodile hides is a bit of a conundrum, and I recall reading several accounts of the days after Omdurman. It is noted that there were various weapons covered in thuluth (noted as Arabic inscriptions) and many covered in crocodile , but mostly these seem to have been the smaller types like axes etc.

Many of the forces came from conscripted tribesmen from various areas where prior to these campaigns the slavers of Khartoum had raided to acquire slaves. In order to establish control they would appoint chiefs of that tribal group to these contingents, and they fashioned weapons of the type of that region that would appeal to and be recognizable traditionally. These as previously noted were embellished with the thuluth just as the swords.

As noted, these areas of Sudan were key slaving areas, and well connected to the slaving activities that had prevailed with Mamluks in Sennar. These Mamluk connections are important as this is where the use of thuluth is likely from (Mamluk metal work is known for this).

In the years following Omdurman, the remote (almost frontier) areas of Darfur were rife with slaving, and those activities remained in place. In these areas, the crocodile is revered and feared, as throughout Africa. It will be noted that kaskara in the years of Ali Dinar, its last Sultan (killed by British in 1914) became of styling noted to him. With this, the grip is usually covered in strips of the belly hide of crocodile.

In my opinion (and typically met with great consternation) these crocodile covered kaskara were quite possibly worn as fear provoking symbolic weapons by the 'bosses' of the caravans moving slaves. As I was told by a Darfur tribesman I once knew, the crocodile hide represented fear and respect.
These blades are European and of the type brought into these regions rather circumventing British intervention, and as seen are often well appointed with cosmological motif. These are NOT the kind of blades found on souvenirs as this cosmology was key in the nominally Muslim folk religion of these areas.

Also, the crossguards on these resemble those referred to in Reed 1975 ("A Kaskara from Darfur").
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote